The Exeter Chamber of Commerce was originally the Exeter Board of Trade.
Building was erected in September 1912 on land leased from the Union Pacific at cost of $3,000. In February 1921 the name was changed to the Exeter Chamber of Commerce.
To advocate and initiate projects beneficial to the community.
The Chamber of Commerce is a voluntary organization representing all segments of business… working together to carry out what no individual, business or agency could achieve alone.
The Exeter annual festival was started by the women of the Presbyterian Church as the Chrysanthemum Festival in 1904. It later was called the Emperor Grape Festival, Red Carpet Festival and is now known as the Fall Festival.
During the early days of Exeter, several businesses developed which added to the economy of the area but which no longer exist:
The San Joaquin Roller Mill, which ceased to exist when the wheat and barley fields were planted into fruit trees.
Rocky Point Granite Quarry on the NE slope of Rocky Hill. During the early 1900s much of the granite used in buildings and curbs from Exeter to San Francisco was Exeter Granite.
The S.P. Brick Co. established in 1908 produced brick for many of the existing buildings in Exeter today.
Two manufacturing businesses organized in the early 1900s, which are still in operation are:
Van Cleve Construction Co located near the Merriman Station for the manufacture of cement irrigation and storm pipe.
Waterman Industries – cooperate now worldwide.
The Exeter Sun has been in business for 100 years.
The Exeter Mercantile started in 1916.
Today through the CofC efforts, we have the recognition as “One of America’s Prettiest Painted Places”.